60 replies to this topic

#1 Phil y

Phil y

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:40 PM

OK does anybody on this site use a 1.6 petrol to tow with and if so what do you tow ?

Cheers
Phil................
  • nikebchgpq, miecehxk, rhusaqod and 15 others like this

#2 jamescars9cars

jamescars9cars

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:cars, motorsport,keen diy , walking the dog

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:17 PM

Hi phil I tow a car trailer with a suzuki jeep on when I go off roading do not have any probs some times a bit slow going up hills but always gets me there and back safe - Dean

Edited by JoeBlunt, 27 September 2010 - 04:05 PM.
Quote Removed - No need to Quote the Previous Post if you are replying immediately afterwards.

#3 Chez

Chez

2.0 Hdi Desire 2 (2005) Storm Grey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 03:28 PM

Hi Phil, Just my trusty little trailer for camping trips and the occasional trip to the council tip. No probs when fully loaded.
Don't think i'd entertain the idea of pulling a caravan though...!

Attached File  ng218mirrored.jpg   20.62KB   50 downloads

Present 1.6 VTR+ 2013, 115 Airdream C4 Picasso.

Previous 1.6 VTR+ 2010 C4 Picasso.

2.0HDI Desire 2, 2005 Picasso.

1.6 8v SX 2001 Picasso.

#4 RHP

RHP

Former Picasso 1.8SX Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,154 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 04:55 PM

... tow a car trailer with a suzuki jeep on ...

An estimation of the weight of trailer plus load would be useful as a comparison with likely caravan weights :)

----------- Please help keep Vulcan XH558 flying ----------
------------------ www.vulcantothesky.org ----------------

#5 Guest_PicassoPickle_*

Guest_PicassoPickle_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:48 PM

OK does anybody on this site use a 1.6 petrol to tow with and if so what do you tow ?

Cheers
Phil................

Hiya Phil y. Since getting my new picasso Im skint and want a caravan for cheap n easy holidays. I too have a 1.6 petrol, and I'm looking at how and where to get a tow bar put on. I was told I'd have to get a towing licence, but having checked the DVLA website, I think the caravan I'm looking at is okay under a catigory B licence. So if you find an answer to your question, then pleeeeeease let me know!

Does your picassso have a tow bar on it already?

Sorry I'm no help. :( xx

#6 Guest_lees_78_*

Guest_lees_78_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:45 AM

wow, seems like a lot of people with the 1.6 petrol want to know if they can pull a caravan with this car., im in the same boat, i have just got a tow bar cheap, i too am wondering if i can pull a caravan, i was thinking ofr getting one under 1000kg. I am going to try my dads when i get my tow bar put on so will let you know whether i have a clutch/axle left. he he thanks :D

#7 RHP

RHP

Former Picasso 1.8SX Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,154 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:33 PM

PicassoPickle/lees_78 - Just in case you hadn't realised - you are responding to posts that were made in April 2007 :).

----------- Please help keep Vulcan XH558 flying ----------
------------------ www.vulcantothesky.org ----------------

#8 Phil y

Phil y

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:45 PM

Used my pic to tow a elldis wirlwind xl 2birth of 1990 vintage the pic did all rite with that one on. but S.W.M.B.O. wanted a bigger newer van so sadly had to sell pic ( still miss it) and go for a more heavier motor . Never tow more 85% of wieght of car as it just pulls it to bits. As for tow bar ive got one in the garage if you want it F.O.C. but you have to pick it up..

#9 Garvey

Garvey

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:04 PM

Had a 1.8i pic and used to tow my Sunncamp trailer tent with no problem. Just about to fit a towbar to my new 05 1.6 for the same reason.
To be honest, Not sure about a caravan but my trailer tent should be fine, im sure, I hope lol

#10 bulldog7274

bulldog7274

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:11 PM

ive just had my tow bar delivered from towquip was just under

#11 wdmotors

wdmotors

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:41 PM

Looking for how much a 1.8 Picasso can legally tow? Anyone ny idea of the kerbweight?

#12 jimmk

jimmk

1.6 (8v) 2004 Petrol XPic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:11 PM

:woot:

this site will tell you all. http://www.towcar.eu
"I don't think this debate is negative, it is enriching"
Xsara Picasso 1.6 8v Desire 2 (petrol) 2004 SAHARA GOLD

#13 martyn404

martyn404

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Caravanning, camping, days out, real ale.

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:54 AM

This year I have only towed our little box trailer with our Picasso 1.6i and that was no problem at all. We were literally loaded up to the brim..
Attached File  IOW.2010.JPG   1.36MB   2 downloads

We own a Jubilee viceroy (20yrs old) twin axle caravan which I used to tow at 109% with a Rover 620i (114hp) Balance of load is critical and one soon becomes expert at loading up car and van. The performance of this set up was OK. I never intended to or did exceed 60mph.
Attached File  Jubilee Viceroy and rover 620i.jpg   251.09KB   3 downloads

Next summer I intend to tow the Viceroy with our Picasso 1.6i (89hp) I will be towing at 112% and expect a lesser performance due to fewer hp. In fact as soon as the weather picks up and we have our car back from Simon-Dean Motor Services.LTD I shall have a trail run with this unit and van. I'm not sure what the towing capacity for this car is (900kg) I think. I'll hitch up the van and see how it feels..

Happy towing!....

Edited by martyn404, 04 December 2010 - 09:03 AM.

Posted Image

Happy days..

#14 blanca

blanca

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:F1, Moto GP, computers,Drawing my pension, caravanning &SUNSHINE
    2002 Pic 2.0hdi

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:11 PM

:unsure:Do'nt forget, when you are packed up to go away it will be a LOT heavier :blink:
Blanca Ed

#15 rodderstrotter

rodderstrotter

2.0 Hdi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:23 PM

Attached File  Jubilee Viceroy and rover 620i.jpg   251.09KB   3 downloads

Next summer I intend to tow the Viceroy with our Picasso 1.6i (89hp) I will be towing at 112% and expect a lesser performance due to fewer hp. In fact as soon as the weather picks up and we have our car back from Simon-Dean Motor Services.LTD I shall have a trail run with this unit and van. I'm not sure what the towing capacity for this car is (900kg) I think. I'll hitch up the van and see how it feels..

Happy towing!....

Are you serious! (not a troll R U!?) If vosa catch you or you have an accident, you've had it! Vosa have sent NIP's (Notice of Intended Prosecution) to people who have just exceeded to 85% rule & are still within the vehicle manufactures towing limit (which is the absolute legal towing limit)

Vosa 85%

The 85% rule may be argued in court, but exceeding the vehicles towing limit wouldn't be, & could invalidate your insurance. I just manage to keep within 85% with careful loading with a HDI, but towing well above the legal towing limit is mad (900Kg 1.6 petrol), no matter how careful/experianced you are. Sorry to go on, no offence.
Wouldn't want to see this happen 2 u LOL
Towing caravan

Edited by rodderstrotter, 06 December 2010 - 11:24 PM.

2004 2.0HDI PICASSO EXCLUSIVE
2010 HYUNDAI i20

#16 martyn404

martyn404

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:44 AM

I towed the viceroy with the rover for 5-6yrs without a hiccup or incident of any kind!.. why should it be any different with the Piccasso...
Posted Image

Happy days..

#17 martyn404

martyn404

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:21 AM

Rodderstrotter I do have concerns about the Piccasso's towing power and capacity! At the time we bought the car I voiced these concerns to my wife but the Piccasso's internal space and the look and layout swayed me! It may well be that we have to change our Piccasso but that would be the last resort.
Rodderstrotter are you perhaps being a little alarmist over vosa! If I were to tow the viceroy with a mini or similar then yes, pull me over! I think I need to research vosa on google and see if they are clamping down etc.. If so then The Picasso will have to go!

Edited by martyn404, 08 December 2010 - 10:27 AM.

Posted Image

Happy days..

#18 rodderstrotter

rodderstrotter

2.0 Hdi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:24 PM

Rodderstrotter I do have concerns about the Piccasso's towing power and capacity! At the time we bought the car I voiced these concerns to my wife but the Piccasso's internal space and the look and layout swayed me! It may well be that we have to change our Piccasso but that would be the last resort.
Rodderstrotter are you perhaps being a little alarmist over vosa! If I were to tow the viceroy with a mini or similar then yes, pull me over! I think I need to research vosa on google and see if they are clamping down etc.. If so then The Picasso will have to go!

Maybe I do worry a little, I've even taken the beer out my van to keep within the 85%, and that's serious! I have read alot about roadside checks in my caravan magazine & on ukcampsite forums. I've rarely seen them myself, but it would just be my luck to get pulled if I was overweight. Vosa allow 2%, which isn't much leeway. I think my main concern is if I was involved in an accident, even if it was someone elses fault. My FIL rolled his kia sorento over twice when he got caught in the slipstream of a lorry on the motorway, which again makes me very cautious. To be honest though, I tow 1100Kg with my HDI (1300Kg towing capacity), & while it does feel stable, it does struggle on hill starts, I wouldn't like to go any heavier. I think you'd find on hills you will really struggle. I'm in the same boat when it comes to changing my van, I have a six birth avondale leda malvern, & won't beable to get anything that size near that weight with a more modern van, so may have to trade up to something bigger :-( Again, sorry to go on, I can see your having a bad time with your ECU (scares the hell out of me!), hope you get it sorted, good luck.

Edited by rodderstrotter, 08 December 2010 - 10:29 PM.

2004 2.0HDI PICASSO EXCLUSIVE
2010 HYUNDAI i20

#19 Guest_Loanranger_*

Guest_Loanranger_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:31 PM

Hi i am also a newbi with a 003 1.8 sx with only 35.000 mls on the clock and were also thinking of buying a small caravan theres only the two of us so perhaps 2/4 berth would do ??Is the stadard suspension up to it if not what would be needed and would the fuel suffer really badly just an idear.

Cheers loanranger

#20 pheptopsseify

pheptopsseify

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:28 AM

Declaration a way to cure hemorrhoids may sound like an unsuitable business if you capture them on a accustomed main ingredient, but there are treatment options during you to look into.Hemorrhoids Gone Safely in 48 Hours EXPOSED: "Effortlessly Method Cures Hemorrhoids Safely in 48 Hours, Already PROVEN Away Thousands To Take Eliminated Pain & Embarrassment In place of Good.