Photo

Sat Nav - Security

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,705 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:20 PM

I know a few people who've put their local Police Station in as their home address for exactly this reason! :gun:

Paul

I could always put my Australian address. He'd run out of fuel before he got there.
:D
  • ArmandoPug likes this
The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#22 Martint

Martint

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:21 PM

I heard last month that Cambs Constabulary have arrested someone for 'my' crime.

Now theres a novelty .... normally they couldn't find their backsides with both hands .... :o

To be fair, Officer made 3 calls to reach me in response to my question about whether any property recovered or worth going for costs. Answer: offender is 'worthless', therefore no point in pursuing claim. In court, in prison and out again before ink dry on sentencing sheet. Instead of blaming police, perhaps stiffer sentencing by magistrates would be a better option

#23 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,705 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:29 PM

[/quote]

To be fair, Officer made 3 calls to reach me in response to my question about whether any property recovered or worth going for costs. Answer: offender is 'worthless', therefore no point in pursuing claim. In court, in prison and out again before ink dry on sentencing sheet. Instead of blaming police, perhaps stiffer sentencing by magistrates would be a better option
[/quote]

I agree with your final sentence.
Always ask for the cost of the property stolen. Let the Court decide. If the defendant is sent to prison you won't get anything, but with other sentences there is a good chance than an order will be made against the convicted person. Whether you get anything is chance. If the person is ordered to pay instalments and defaults he will be brought back to Court. He may get another chance. He may go to prison in default. If he is on Benefit it may be stopped from his payments at a fixed weekly rate.

#24 thehead

thehead

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:13 PM

so i think we have gathered about tomtom sat nav if you do leave these things in you car and they get into the wrong hands, dont forget you have programed them with your home address so put the password on your tomtom satnav, these people rob your cars so they will rob your home or worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :torch:

Edited by thehead, 03 October 2006 - 01:43 PM.

#25 Grahame

Grahame

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:00 PM

My Tom Tom Navigator mount is on the front offside small window which I find useful and perhaps not as noticiable as some on the windscreen. When I leave the car I take my Mio PDA / Navigator out and put my small oblong sponge/leather in it and it looks like a holder for it.
Grahame

#26 mozzins

mozzins

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:50 PM

As teacherpete2 said don

#27 Dan Gleebitz

Dan Gleebitz

2.0 HDi SX in Sahara Gold

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,202 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:10 PM

if you get carjacked they will have your keys but a fake address, .

Car jack a Citroen Picasso .... you 'avin' a Giraffe ? Come one even the toe rags have street cred'.

#28 MerlinL14

MerlinL14

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:00 AM

To 'mask' the sucker mark on my Pic I have put a No Smoking sticker where the mount will be placed. From outside the vehicle you can't see anything but the sticker. From outside the car you can't see where the mount has been.

Edited by MerlinL14, 28 September 2007 - 11:02 AM.

1.6 Hdi VTX Oriental Blue,

#29 rdfb2

rdfb2

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Interests:everything + nothing

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:26 PM

my eldest girl lives in a nice part of dartford went out returned home 50 minutes later to find front door completly wrecked,they tryed to kick it in,when that didnt work they kicked the front wall down,+ used the bricks to smash out all the glass +gain entry, her husbands audi TT + suv van where on drive,they where after the audi but he had keys on him so they made off in the suv, taking what they could grab from here house, 1 year later they were captured + owned up to about 20 burglaris,got 12 months in prison,total losses for my girls insurance company van + damage to property + stolen items about

Attached Files

Edited by rdfb2, 28 September 2007 - 12:29 PM.

2001 SX 1.6 PETROL.

#30 longdoggg

longdoggg

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Coarse Fishing, Keeping fit, Amateur Dramatics

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:56 AM

To 'mask' the sucker mark on my Pic I have put a No Smoking sticker where the mount will be placed. From outside the vehicle you can't see anything but the sticker. From outside the car you can't see where the mount has been.

We bought a Garmin Sat Nav and also the mount that just sits on the dash so that we're not attaching it to anything.
It's brilliant, stays rock solid on the dash and when we get out the car just lift it off the dash, take the Sat Nav with us and hide the mount in the under seat storage.

#31 iamian

iamian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:47 AM

I had hoped that as these things had dropped in price (Basic TomTom
I'd rather be boating

#32 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,705 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:21 PM

To 'mask' the sucker mark on my Pic I have put a No Smoking sticker where the mount will be placed.

I've never managed to get my TomTom to stick to the windscreen or side window since new. The windows have never been cleaned with chemicals, and I've tried my best quality spit on the pad but it still keeps falling off. It spends all of its time in the cig ash tray.

Any ideas?

#33 mike_ch7

mike_ch7

Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:53 PM

I have a TomTom one mount where the suction cup lever is a left/right action rather than an up down action. It works well on the glass, never had a problem or needed to use spit (even if I were allowed).

Talking of the "Road Wars" (& similar series) ....do those scum-bags who chase away from an obvious police pursuit ever pay for the actual destruction they cause other than a "sentence" ...assumeing they get caught of course.
I have always thought that they should, as well as an imposed sentence, pay for the infrastructure involved, from first instance of pursuit to final sentencing....included in the calculation a formula for police car(s) pursuit and equipment & maintenance costs (similar helicopters if used) and all extra manpower needed etc.
Mike has decided to wash his Pentland Green sometime in 2006.
This was proudly achieved a grand total of 1 times.
No washing aspirations for 2007.....Ditto 2008.....2009, Forget it.

IPB Image

#34 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,705 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:39 AM

I have a TomTom one mount where the suction cup lever is a left/right action rather than an up down action. It works well on the glass, never had a problem or needed to use spit (even if I were allowed).

Talking of the "Road Wars" (& similar series) ....do those scum-bags who chase away from an obvious police pursuit ever pay for the actual destruction they cause other than a "sentence" ...assumeing they get caught of course.

Mine doesn't have the lever action. The "spit" is a very discrete one.

In my 23 years as a Chairman in Court I always made sure, wherever possible, that the defendant paid the full price for his actions.

Some seemed to think that a

#35 Supercar

Supercar

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:39 PM

I have always found it more interesting and cheaper to use a good quality map and it can be used for walking around the locality that you are unfamiliar with which is not possible with the sat nav.

Hope you are away from the HOTSPOTS (Bush Fires) being relayed to the UK TV's Lancelot

#36 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,705 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:12 AM

I have always found it more interesting and cheaper to use a good quality map and it can be used for walking around the locality that you are unfamiliar with which is not possible with the sat nav.

Hope you are away from the HOTSPOTS (Bush Fires) being relayed to the UK TV's Lancelot

I can't read a map when driving. My wife will navigate me up a wall. Give her an aircraft and a nav map and no problem calculating drift, course etc. Never a problem there.

I was against buying a sat-nav but now enjoy using one, even though I don't always follow the instructions.
Another toy to play with!

Thankfully no bush fires near us, but saw some when flying in, and read about them on the Internet. We are struggling a bit with the heat. When not away from home we spend all day in the shade on the patio and it was 30C at 9.15am and still rising. Have a pedestal fan oscillating on me and the laptop. Still better than freezing in the UK.

Last year we were in a small town in the SW called Denmark and we were surrounded by fires for three days, unable to leave the area. It was no problem and the only way that we would have known would have been to try and leave and be stopped by road closed signs. You pass them with fatal results.

#37 Supercar

Supercar

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:48 AM

I know a lady who emigrated to Aussie a long while ago she is also a cyclist and when she comes to the UK in the Aussie winter for a holiday she explains that their club cyclists start at 0500 to avoid the high heat later in the day.

#38 Supercar

Supercar

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:21 AM

Last year we were in a small town in the SW called Denmark and we were surrounded by fires for three days, unable to leave the area. It was no problem and the only way that we would have known would have been to try and leave and be stopped by road closed signs. You pass them with fatal results.
[/quote]

I put a property search on for Denmark meaning the euro version and up popped the Aussie version what a difference!

It's a similar problem to the .co.uk and .com in previous postings it's .DK for euro DK

You have to have a job in DK or have been resident for five years in DK before you can purchase a property for non Nationals.

Still better than freezing in the UK.

Heavy Snow
forcast for your neck of the woods and East coast tonight (Sunday) a blast from Norway

Edited by Supercar, 01 February 2009 - 10:30 AM.

#39 Supercar

Supercar

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:48 AM

Could Sat Nav invalidate your insurance? posted here on BBC.co.uk today

http://news.bbc.co.u...box/7861184.stm

#40 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,705 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:41 PM

I know a lady who emigrated to Aussie a long while ago she is also a cyclist and when she comes to the UK in the Aussie winter for a holiday she explains that their club cyclists start at 0500 to avoid the high heat later in the day.

The Ozzies seem much more fitness orientated than the Brits. They are out in the cool of the day at 5am on bikes, and walking. Or they go out at night about 8pm.