69 replies to this topic

#1 Wallace

Wallace

2.0 Hdi 52 reg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 05:33 PM

I used my TomTom for the first time this week in my works van, it was a great help. I used the "proper" TomTom suction windscreen mount.

Being a forgetful sod I removed my TomTom but forgot the mount.

Low and behold, this morning when drawing the curtains I noticed that both my van's front passenger and drivers door glass had been shattered. TomTom mount gone. The toe rags had searched high and low for the TomTom but of course didn't find it because it wasn't in the vehicle.

My van has been parked on the road outside my house every night for seven years without so much as a scratch. The first time I have left the mounting on the windscreen, bam, broken in to.

So to repeat previous warnings "DO NOT LEAVE AND VALUABLES, TOMTOM ETC ON VIEW IN YOU CAR"

To be honest, I am quite worried. My car is parked on my drive whilst I am at work (nothing of value in the car) but now "someone" knows I had a TomTom mount they must know I have a TomTom. If it's not in the van/car it must be in the house. You know where i'm coming from?

All one can do is leave everything secure, switch on any alarms and be vigilant.

Please learn from this, I know I have.
Cracking Toast Gromit!
---------------------------
2002 2.0 HDi Exclusive.

#2 Dan Gleebitz

Dan Gleebitz

2.0 HDi SX in Sahara Gold

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,202 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 05:52 PM

Even with the suction mount removed, these toe rags look for the marks on the inside of the windscreen. Someone round here had removed their, the toe rags broke in to look in the usual places then unlucky, slashed each of the seats.

#3 Wallace

Wallace

2.0 Hdi 52 reg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 06:13 PM

Even with the suction mount removed, these toe rags look for the marks on the inside of the windscreen. Someone round here had removed their, the toe rags broke in to look in the usual places then unlucky, slashed each of the seats.

Yes, I forgot to mention that you should clean the windscreen of any tell-tail marks left behind.

In my case they only took the mount. Trashed the glovebox looking for the TomTom though.

You don't realise how much time is involved sorting these things out.

I work for BT so I will get paid for my time, but someone self employed will really be out of pocket.
Cracking Toast Gromit!
2002 2.0 HDi Exclusive.

#4 britbulldog1066

britbulldog1066

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:48 PM

I work for BT so I will get paid for my time, but someone self employed will really be out of pocket.

Yes, I was!! By the time I had had the windows fixed and bought another unit the cost was over

#5 Martint

Martint

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 03:09 PM

Wise advice, see my posting from March on exactly this point. The hassle factor is huge: police report and paperwork to do; gettting the windscreen merchant on a Sunday afternoon (joke); getting the insurance quote done; being without the car while it's in dock having the door resprayed to remove the glass scratches; bullying the firm who supply Sat Nav for the insurance company to get me a Tom Tom, rather than something they would prefer to give me - and I'm still finding bits of glass in unlikely places now! There's also the loss of my excess

#6 Paul A

Paul A

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:Sport, but mainly cycling and running of any kind! Bit of Triathlon when the urge takes me!

Posted 01 August 2006 - 03:28 PM

Indeed, an unfortunate sign of the times, all you can do is make life as hard for this type of pondlife as possible.

To this end I've stopped using my Tom Tom mount in my car (I still use it hire cars!) and I have used a more non-descript system that is easier to remove from sight. I guess nothing will stop the opportunist deciding to root through your glove box if the desire takes them - just got to hope that one day you catch the junkie deliquent at it! :devil:

"...but your Honour I simply found him at the side of my damaged vehicle hitting himself over the noggin with my tyre iron...!"

Cheers Paul

#7 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,708 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 01 August 2006 - 05:26 PM

I heard last month that Cambs Constabulary have arrested someone for 'my' crime. I'm not holding my breath about recovery of property though!

Have the police contacted you? Have you contacted them about the arrest? Claim for damages against the offender.
The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#8 RHP

RHP

Former Picasso 1.8SX Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,154 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 05:42 PM

Not too far off topic I hope :unsure: ... It is possible I shall be looking to buy a new Hyundai Santa Fe early next year, and the model I am looking at comes equipped with "Smartnav" (www.smartnav.com) It seems to me that this system, having just a single push button on show and with all the gubbins built into the vehicle elsewhere will/would be a lot more toerag proof - anyone have any views on this type of system? I've never had a SatNav system, and except for the fact it's part of the vehicle wouldn't specify it as a requirement :)

----------- Please help keep Vulcan XH558 flying ----------
------------------ www.vulcantothesky.org ----------------

#9 Paul A

Paul A

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:Sport, but mainly cycling and running of any kind! Bit of Triathlon when the urge takes me!

Posted 01 August 2006 - 07:29 PM

Not heard of the smartnav but I do know plenty of people with in-built sat nav (the Vauxhall version especially) that have gone out and bought stand-alone sat nav devices as the car OEM versions are often awful to use! Understandable really, they are there to make cars whereas Garmin & Tom Tom make sat nav for a living! Also, as an option they can often cost around

#10 Dan Gleebitz

Dan Gleebitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,202 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 08:18 PM

I heard last month that Cambs Constabulary have arrested someone for 'my' crime.

Now theres a novelty .... normally they couldn't find their backsides with both hands .... :o

#11 iamian

iamian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 08:39 PM

I have never, ever had my
I'd rather be boating

#12 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,708 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:34 PM

I heartily recommend that anyone looking at sat nav must road test first and check out the 'net for any reviews and the like, it's an expensive mistake to find yourself lumbered with the wrong one!

Cheers Paul

Got any URLs for net reviews? I see that Comet on-line have the Garmin i3 for

#13 Dan Gleebitz

Dan Gleebitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,202 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:54 PM

Perhaps there is the answer ... leave the Road Atlas on the rear seat .... scumbags will look .. see the Atlas and go elsewhere, thinking they have found a "Luddite" ... well I like the logic :P

#14 Paul A

Paul A

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:33 PM

[quote]Got any URLs for net reviews? I see that Comet on-line have the Garmin i3 for

Edited by Paul A, 02 August 2006 - 06:47 PM.

#15 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,708 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:14 PM

[quote name='Paul A' date='Aug 2 2006, 03:33 PM' post='107183']

At that price is it worth a try?[/quote]

Lancelot,

This user forum:

yourNav

...[/quote]

Thank for that. As you say "It's only the last few miles that are the problem"

#16 Teacherpete2

Teacherpete2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,002 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 02:53 PM

Just something to think about as a result of watching 'The Real Hustle' the other night. The hustle involved a manned car park and went like this...

The hustler waits for attendant to go on a break the sets himself up as the attendant, complete with receipts and fluorescent jacket. He waits for a punter and then tells him that it is valet parking, to leave the keys in the car and gives him a ticket. (The punter was obviously a bit unsure and waited until he saw his car being driven into the parking area before leaving.) Once he'd gone, the hustler then drove off in the car! Now the bonus for the hustler, in the glovebox were a sat nav and a set of house keys! So, the hustler now had the car, the vicitm's house keys and directions how to get there courtesy of the victim's sat nav 'home' navigation. The potential for burglary was obvious; as the hustler pointed out, 'We know he's not at home!'

So the moral of the story is not to store your home address in the home section of the navigation system. I would think that adding a few other local addresses would be needed to make it more difficult to locate home especially if the thief notes where the car was taxed or originated from.
  • The Welshman likes this
Growing old is compulsory; growing up isn't!
If you're not part of the solution...
...you're part of the precipitate!

#17 The Picasso Kid

The Picasso Kid

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 03:10 PM

Gud 1 TP - you know I've used my Tom Tom for a while now and I always wondered if entering the home
address would be a problem and it's quite obvious..........

Thanks for this tip off I'll change my home address to the local entrepaneur down the road with a Merc SLK on the drive so that when he turns up with my Audi Keys it wont fit.......

the
PK

#18 incubus

incubus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 04:50 PM

Put in the Mutha in laws address... :D That'll do it... :gun: My Satnav always asks me which home and are you sure....????

#19 pujro

pujro

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 08:33 PM

or password it?

#20 Paul A

Paul A

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 04:20 PM

I know a few people who've put their local Police Station in as their home address for exactly this reason! :gun:

I have to say though leaving house keys and Sat Nav in the car?!?!?!

It may be sign of the times but even though I park my car daily in a compound surrounded by barbed wire and guarded by chaps with guns (really!) all the valuables still come out! Not sure there is anywhere I would consider truly 'safe' from villains these days!

Paul